Providing summer activities for kids—and a place to escape Baltimore’s oppressive heat—was also an early mission of the Associated Jewish Charities. The Woodland Country Home, located in Catonsville, opened in 1922. Women, children and families would visit to regain their health, eat nutritious meals and enjoy the fresh air. The camp eventually became Camp Woodlands in 1948 and changed its focus to a day camp for children. It would close in the mid-1950s when the state bought the property for highway development.
Fortunately for the Jewish community, by then the JCC had established Camp Milldale in 1953 at Stevenson and Keysor Roads. The property, once Camp Crestmont, was purchased as a gift for the Associated Jewish Charities by Hugo Dalsheimer. Camp Milldale would move out to Woodensburg, Md.
For decades, generations of families would spend their summers on this bucolic property, swimming, playing sports and color war, enjoying arts and crafts and incorporating Shabbat as well as Jewish values and customs. J Camps on the Rosenbloom Owings Mills JCC campus would eventually replace Camp Milldale. Today JCC camps still offer children unique opportunities to connect with each other and with Judaism, while providing space for them to play, learn and enjoy their summer vacations.
Today, Jewish camp is recognized as playing a significant role in impacting future Jewish identity, It was for this reason that The Associated created a Center for Jewish Camping. By partnering with area Jewish day and overnight camps, The Center helps families find the perfect fit for their children.
From the days of playing on the roof of the old Jewish Educational Alliance (JEA) building to swimming in bathing caps at Camp Milldale’s pool …. From counting on the men to chauffer the women as they went door to door raising money on G-Day […]
The promise of new suburban housing, spacious lawns and new schools, coupled with discriminatory housing practices that prevented Jews from living in certain neighborhoods, shaped the migration to northwest Baltimore in the second half of the century. In 1959 the JCC was built on Park […]
Baltimore’s earliest Jewish immigrants–mainly from Germany and then from Russia and Eastern Europe–primarily settled in Fells Point, South Baltimore and East Baltimore, where they established homes, business, schools and synagogues. East Baltimore quickly became one of Baltimore’s first distinctly Jewish communities. And that’s where the […]
After the war, as Communism spread, Jews living in Cuba had their livelihoods and possessions stripped by Fidel Castro’s new regime. Many of them had been refugees from Nazi Germany and were forced to flee their homes for a second or third time. In the […]
Take a small step to make a big impact